Studies show that fitness can make relationships stronger. It can create a fun environment for couples to challenge and motivate each-other while spending time together; building strength not only physically but strengthening the relationship as a whole.
Below are 5 takeaways of couples living an active lifestyle together!
- Unbreakable Bond – Living a healthy lifestyle and taking care of your body is very important when it comes to living a healthy and strong life; it’s even better when your significant other is dedicated to health and fitness just like you. It allows you two to spend time together pushing and motivating each-other in ways you never thought possible.
- Great Motivation – Talk about some great motivation! When you two are both interested in fitness and have goals you are trying to meet, one of the most motivating factors in your life can be your significant other. For me my boyfriend pushes me and tests my limits in ways I never could do for myself. When couples train together the motivation levels increase dramatically!
- Confidence Boost – One of the most important results fitness gives you is self-confidence. Living a healthy lifestyle and taking care of your body makes you feel like you are in control. You can change your body with exercise and nutrition and for some people this change brings on an amazing confidence boost! When you are confident in your own skin that light will shine in your relationship!
- Improved Patience and Understanding – We all know that training times can range from very short to pretty dang long! Couples who train together understand that some training days may be longer than others and sometimes training has to come before movie dates and dinners. This understanding improves the level of patience in a relationship.
- Improved Sex Life – Your active lifestyle in the gym can improve your active lifestyle in bed! Exercise improves your energy, stamina, and flexibility. It also gets your blood pumping and raises testosterone levels. The confidence you get from fitness will give that added boost of confidence and sex appeal under the sheets!
One of the biggest keys to success is motivation. Whether it is self motivation or motivation from an outside source, it is important for your significant other to be there for you and motivate you in working towards your goals. That is what strengthens and bonds relationships.
Below are a couple of comments my readers left on my blog when I asked how fitness has impacted their relationship!
“Fitness has become a big part of my life in the last 3 years. Robb my boyfriend of the last 3 years has definitely contributed to getting me in the gym especially weight lifting rather than my usual cardio. He bought me a gym membership (which I took no offense too lol) our first Christmas together so that we could workout together at his gym Fitness 19. He made me enjoy the gym and helped me learn how to lift weights. It has never affected our relationship in a negative way, it brings us closer and is just another hobby we have together. Health and nutrition also plays a huge role in our household and we educate each other on how to be healthy and fit together. The gym has definitely helped me with anxiety issues that I have. Some days the gym is therapy for me and I know it’s the same for Robb as well. Nothing is more of a turn on in a relationship than dedication and motivation on yourself and appearance.” – Lauren
With her boyfriend motivating her along the way Lauren is able to live a stronger more healthy life. Proof that fitness can certainly bond two people in a relationship and bring them closer together!
Another reader said,
“I think working out is a fun and healthy way to spend time together. It’s definitely an important part of my relationship with my fiancé considering I have a hard time motivating myself to go alone. It’s good to remember to keep it fun and not take it too seriously, whether working out together or alone. Don’t ever obsess over your body or your significant other’s body which be detrimental to the relationship. Just be happy, love and enjoy each other.” – Shalimar
It seems like the biggest factor that comes into play is motivation. When your significant other is able to motivate you and encourage you to do what you enjoy, your relationship naturally strengthens. When he/she is constantly frustrated with your fitness hobbies motivation can diminish drastically.
So, what if you are someone whose significant other is less than motivated in the gym? I know it can be truly frustrating but you can’t sacrifice your own happiness for someone else’s. If living a healthy and fit lifestyle is something you enjoy, I say take the time you need to satisfy that part of you!
Below are a few ways you can still enjoy fitness when your significant other is less than interested!
- Outdoors Activities – There are many, many ways you can stay fit with your boyfriend or girlfriend. I am a huge fan of hiking. I would recommend researching hiking trails in your area that you two can take a day and visit together. My favorite is Amicalola Falls in Georgia. The hike ranges from beginner to experienced. What makes the trip so much more rewarding is the breathtaking view of the waterfall at the end of the hike!
- Races – Races like the Savage race or Warrior Dash are fun way to get involved in fitness outside of the gym. If your significant other despises lifting weights in a room, try suggesting you two take part in a race like this! They are fun, motivating, and the sense of community is truly inspirational!
- Walks – Taking walks is not only a great way to refresh and reboot you mentally but is also a great way for couples to bond. I suggest going in the evening or morning and leaving behind any technology. This allows you two to engage in meaningful conversation!
There are always ways around not living a healthy and fit life. I know from experience that it can be frustrating and it can drastically diminish your individual motivation when your loved one doesn’t care about health and exercise; but, it doesn’t have to!
Don’t sacrifice your own happiness and individual needs for someone else’s. Communication is key. Talk to your significant other about your feelings and hopefully you two will be able to meet in the middle.