“When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive – to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.”
Do you wake up immediately dreading the day ahead? Here are 9 ways you can start your day off right!
- (1) – Coffee, tea, or hot lemon water with honey – All three of these have their own nutrients that make them great for our bodies in the morning.
- Coffee – Coffee contains powerful antioxidants that are known to fight inflammation and ward off free radicals. Also, coffee contains chlorogenic acid that is thought to prevent cardiovascular disease. Coffee also offers a short-term memory boost and is very healthy for your heart and liver. It can help curb depression and boost exercise performance along with revving your metabolism for the day. “Coffee stimulates the release of the neurotransmitter dopamine. Dopamine produces the euphoric and pleasant feelings that people often associate with their first cup of coffee in the morning” (Psychology Today).
- Tea – There are so many different types of teas so I will only name a couple of the most popular: green tea, black tea, and white tea. Different types of tea produce different feelings ranging from energetic, calmness, relaxation, etc. The link below gives more information on tea and it’s health benefits.
- Hot lemon water – There are many health benefits to drinking hot lemon water with honey. Drinking this miracle elixir helps with digestion, weight loss, and can improve your mood (key to have a positive start to your day!).
Starting your day off with something that not only tastes good but is good for your body can help motivate you and stimulate your mood.
- (2) – Motivational Reading – I am a huge fan of self-help books. Whether you think you need the help or not these books contain amazing information that can be applied to your life. My favorite books are:
- “Daily Love” by Mastin Kipp
- “The Power of Now” by Eckhart Tolle
- “The Essential Rumi” with translations by Coleman Barks
- (3) – Quotes –If you have been keeping up with my blog and my previous posts you know by now how much I enjoy quotes. Pinterest is loaded with great motivation and inspirational quotes. Just type in the search bar what you are looking for and bam! Instant motivation. When you find what you like be sure to save them or write them down so you can refer back to it throughout your day
- (4) – Take a walk – Walking can be very relaxing and a great way to start your day. I never recommend walking alone as a woman for safety purposes so I suggest walking with a friend, family member, or significant other. Not only will the walk relax you for the day ahead but friendly conversation with another person or friend will also boost endorphins which in turn will promote positive vibes.
- (5) – Yoga & Meditation –When I first started participating in yoga it was very surreal. The thought that mainly stretching and breathing could put you in such a relaxed and steady state was amazing. For those of you who are constantly stressed and I mean those of you who wake up immediately thinking about the loads of work you have to do … yoga and meditation will work wonders for you! When I first started participating in yoga and meditation I was doing it every single morning as soon as I woke up. I made some hot tea, laid my mat out, pulled up my yoga app and got started. The mornings I did yoga were the best mornings and I started noticing how relaxed I was throughout the rest of my day. I was amazed! Now, I don’t participate in yoga as often as I used to, maybe once or twice a week, but I am still a huge advocate for it. It does wonders for your mood and promotes amazing positive vibes! The app I use is called Daily Yoga. Try it out!
- (6) – Enjoy Breakfast – I Know you have heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I 100% agree! Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day and I never start my day without it. So many people take on their day without eating breakfast and I have no idea how they do it! If I miss breakfast one day my energy levels are low and I feel like I am dragging the whole day. If you start your day by eating breakfast especially with family or your significant other, I guarantee your mood will shoot through the roof! Not only will it make you happy to have a full stomach but eating in the morning actually gives your metabolism a huge boost and revs it up for the day!
- (7) – Plan the night before- Make a small list of about 2-3 things you need to take care of the next day. The key here is limiting your list and making it short. It is easier to accomplish the things on your list if it is short. Less of chance to move on to easier tasks and procrastinate the important ones. Some people even like to time block their days. Simply think about what you have scheduled for the next day and block out those times. After you have blocked out those times it will be easier for you to visually see the free time you have left over to go grocery shopping or fit in the gym.
- (8) – Prepare the night before – Pack you lunch the night before, get together the clothing you want to wear the next day, set up all of your morning supplements and vitamins, program your coffee maker to automatically start brewing at a specific time, etc. All of these things will help you wake up stress free and allow you to relax in the morning instead of rushing to get everything together for the day.
- (9) – Don’t rush – Rushing can immediately bring on anxiety and stress. I am famous for rushing. You know what else I am famous for as a result of rushing? Forgetting. I always, always forget something important when I rush. It is kind of like Murphy’s Law! Whatever can go wrong will go wrong. By taking on your day one step at a time, one task at a time, moving slowly allows you to remain stress free and at ease. It’s certainly better than being overwhelmed with everything at once!
Living in the positive light is a learning process. Our happiness can only be found by changing our perception of the things around us. Our happiness and positive vibes get buried under all of the negative rubble the world hurls at us. It is up to us to slowly pick up and carry that rubble away to uncover our true happiness.
“Every morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.”